The 7 Best Ecommerce Platforms for 2023
In today's digital age, having a robust and user-friendly ecommerce platform is crucial for any business looking to thrive in the online marketplace. With numerous options available, choosing the right platform can be a daunting task. Each platform offers unique features and advantages, as well as some limitations. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve compiled a list of the seven best ecommerce platforms for 2023.
What is an ecommerce platform?
An ecommerce platform is software that enables individuals and businesses to establish and manage online stores. It provides the necessary tools and functionalities to create, customize, and operate a digital marketplace, allowing businesses to sell online. Ecommerce platforms facilitate key features such as product catalog management, secure online transactions, inventory management, order processing, payment integration, and customer relationship management.
These platforms often offer additional features like marketing and promotional tools, analytics and reporting, and customer support systems. They’re designed to streamline the entire online shopping experience, both for the business owners and the customers. By leveraging an ecommerce platform, businesses can establish a professional online presence, expand their reach to a global audience, increase sales opportunities, and manage their operations efficiently in the digital realm. What to consider when choosing an ecommerce platform
When choosing an ecommerce platform for your digital store, there are several key factors to consider. Think about the following before settling on a particular ecommerce solution.
Ease of use
One of the most important factors to consider is how user-friendly the ecommerce platform is. Look for a platform that offers a simple and intuitive interface, making it easy for you to manage your ecommerce store without requiring technical expertise. A user-friendly platform will save you time and minimize frustration, allowing you to focus on growing your business.
Another crucial factor to consider is the pricing structure of the ecommerce platform. Different platforms offer various pricing plans, ranging from free to monthly subscriptions. Consider your budget and future growth plans when choosing a platform. Additionally, look for any hidden costs such as transaction fees or additional charges for advanced features.
The ability to customize your online store is essential for creating a unique and branded shopping experience for your customers. Look for an ecommerce platform that offers a wide range of design templates and customization options, allowing you to tailor your ecommerce store to reflect your brand's identity. The platform should also provide flexibility in adding and modifying product listings, categories, and pricing.
Your ecommerce platform should seamlessly integrate with other tools and services you use to run your business. Consider whether the platform integrates with your preferred payment gateways, shipping providers, and accounting software. Integration with popular marketing tools such as email marketing platforms and social media channels is also beneficial for driving traffic and conversions.
What ecommerce platform is right for your business?
Which is the best webshop platform 2023? Let's explore some of the top ecommerce platforms on the market today and their unique features and benefits, so you can decide which is the right one for your online store.
Shopify is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms, known for its ease of use and robust features. It offers a drag-and-drop ecommerce website builder, making it simple to create and customize your digital store without any technical skills. With a wide range of themes and apps, Shopify allows you to create a visually appealing and feature-rich store.
Additionally, Shopify provides built-in payment processing, inventory management, and marketing tools to streamline your business operations. However, the pricing can be higher compared to other platforms, especially when considering transaction fees for third-party payment gateways.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface, ideal for beginners.
- Offers a wide range of professionally designed templates for customization.
- Extensive app store with various plugins and integrations to enhance functionality.
- Excellent customer support available 24/7.
- Scalable platform capable of handling high traffic volumes.
- Monthly subscription costs can add up, especially for smaller businesses.
- Limited built-in blogging capabilities compared to other platforms.
- Transaction fees apply unless you use Shopify Payments.
- Advanced customization may require knowledge of coding.
- Basic ($39/month), Shopify ($105/month), and Advanced ($399/month).
WooCommerce is a plugin for WordPress, making it an excellent choice if you already have a WordPress site. And, unlike the others on this list, it’s a free ecommerce platform. It offers extensive customization options and flexibility, allowing you to create a fully personalized ecommerce store. It’s highly scalable and offers a wide range of plugins and extensions to enhance your store's functionality.
With its powerful content management system, you can easily manage your products, orders, and customer data. WooCommerce does, however, require more technical knowledge compared to other platforms, and you will need to handle your own hosting and security.
- Open-source platform with a large community of developers for support.
- Seamless integration with WordPress, offering extensive customization options.
- Scalable and adaptable to meet the needs of growing businesses.
- Numerous free and premium plugins available for added functionality.
- No transaction fees, allowing businesses to keep more profits.
- Requires a self-hosted WordPress website, which can involve additional setup and maintenance.
- Basic features may require additional plugins, increasing complexity.
- Technical knowledge may be necessary for advanced customization.
- Support options are primarily community-based.
- Free WordPress plugin.
BigCommerce is a comprehensive ecommerce site that caters to businesses of all sizes. It offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of pre-designed templates, allowing you to quickly set up your digital store. It provides advanced features such as multi-channel selling, abandoned cart recovery, and built-in SEO tools to help you drive traffic and increase conversions.
One of the standout features of BigCommerce is its strong integration capabilities with popular online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay. The pricing plans can be higher compared to some other platforms, though.
- Offers an extensive range of built-in features, including SEO optimization and multi-channel selling.
- Scalable platform capable of handling high-volume businesses.
- No transaction fees on any of its plans.
- Robust security measures and regular updates.
- Excellent customer support available via phone, email, and live chat.
- Advanced customization options may require coding knowledge.
- Higher pricing plans may be costly for small businesses.
- Limited number of free themes compared to other platforms.
- Limited support for multi-language websites.
- Standard ($29/month), Plus ($79/month), Pro ($299/month), and Enterprise (custom).
Wix is primarily a website builder but also provides a user-friendly and versatile ecommerce solution for building online stores. With its drag-and-drop interface and extensive customization options, creating a visually appealing and functional ecommerce store is straightforward. The platform offers a range of attractive templates, allowing for quick and easy design customization.
Additionally, Wix's integration with various payment gateways and shipping providers ensures smooth transactions and efficient order fulfillment. The main downside is that, although Wix provides solid ecommerce functionality, it may not be as robust as some dedicated ecommerce platforms.
- Easy to use website builder with a drag-and-drop interface.
- Offers a wide range of professional templates and design options.
- Provides built-in web hosting and domain registration, simplifying the setup process.
- Offers a variety of apps and integrations for added functionality.
- Some advanced features may require additional payments or subscriptions.
- SEO capabilities are somewhat limited, which may affect search engine rankings.
- Not suitable for large-scale or complex websites that require advanced functionality.
- Combo ($16/month), Unlimited ($22/month), Pro ($27/month), and VIP ($45/month)
A highly customizable and scalable ecommerce platform, Magento is ideal for large businesses and enterprise-level operations. It offers a wealth of features and customization options, making it suitable for complex and high-volume online stores.
Magento provides advanced SEO capabilities, mobile-friendly designs, and robust security features. However, Magento requires more technical expertise to set up and maintain compared to other platforms, and the cost of hosting and development can be higher.
- Highly scalable platform capable of handling large product catalogs and high traffic volumes.
- Robust built-in features for managing inventory, orders, and customer data.
- Offers a vast array of extensions and themes for customization.
- Strong SEO capabilities for improved visibility.
- Active community support and regular updates.
- Requires technical expertise for setup and customization.
- Higher learning curve compared to other platforms.
- Hosting and security are not included and require additional setup.
- Costly for smaller businesses due to required server resources.
- Available for a custom price which will depend on selling volume.
Volusion is an all-in-one ecommerce platform that offers a range of features to help you build and grow your online store. It provides a user-friendly interface, customizable templates, and built-in marketing tools to drive traffic and sales.
It also offers a comprehensive inventory management system and integrates with popular payment gateways. One downside is the limited design and theme options on the platform compared to many others.
- Comprehensive set of built-in features, including hosting and SSL.
- Intuitive interface with drag-and-drop functionality.
- Strong inventory management system.
- Competitive pricing plans.
- Limited scalability and customization options.
- Relatively smaller app store compared to competitors.
- Some advanced features require technical knowledge.
- Personal ($35/month), Professional ($79/month), Business ($299/month), Prime (custom).
Squarespace, primarily known as a website builder, also offers ecommerce functionality, making it an attractive option for businesses looking for a seamless integration between their website and online store. It provides users with an easy-to-use interface for building and managing digital stores.
With its sleek and modern templates, Squarespace allows businesses to create visually appealing and professional-looking websites without the need for extensive coding knowledge. Some larger businesses may be put off by its limited potential for scalability, though.
- Beautiful templates and design options for visually appealing stores.
- Drag-and-drop editor and intuitive tools make it easy for users to customize their ecommerce stores.
- Integrated blogging and content management system.
- Excellent mobile responsiveness.
- Limited scalability for larger businesses.
- Less extensive ecommerce-specific features compared to dedicated platforms.
- Transaction fees for third-party payment gateways.
- Personal ($16/month), Business ($23/month), Commerce Basic ($27/month), and Commerce Advanced ($49/month)
Hopefully, this article has helped you gain a better idea of the best ecommerce platform for your business. Remember, before committing to any ecommerce platform, it’s important to consider a number of factors, including your business requirements, technical expertise, scalability needs, and budget so you can be sure you’re making an informed choice.
Do you need help with your VAT compliance? Book a free call with one of our VAT experts to find bespoke solutions for your business, optimize your VAT costs, and reach millions of new potential customers.